Ask This Old House general contractor Tom Silva shows a homeowner how to make her own rain barrel on a budget. (See below for a shopping list, tools, and steps.)
Watch new episodes of Ask This Old House: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/video/0,,,00.html
Find the TV schedule for air times in your area: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/info/0,,20058777,00.html
Shopping List for How to Build a Rain Barrel for $40:
– Reclaimed food-rated barrel
– Boiler shutoff valve
– Thread-sealing tape
– Rain diverter, hose, and tap
Tools for How to Build a Rain Barrel for $40:
– Power drill
– 1-inch hole-saw bit
Steps for How to Build a Rain Barrel for $40:
1. Drill a 1-inch hole at the bottom of the barrel using a power drill and a 1-inch hole-saw bit.
2. Wrap thread-sealing tape several times around the boiler shut-off valve threads and screw it into the hole.
3. Drill a 1-inch hole into the cap of the barrel using a power drill and a 1-inch hole-saw bit.
4. Attach tap to hole in the cap of the barrel.
5. Cut downspout using a hack saw into two pieces.
6. Attach diverter to downspout using a power drill and screws.
7. Connect hose to diverter and tap in cap of barrel.
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
Tweets by AskTOH