SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOldHouse
Tools List for How to Hand-Prune Trees:
– Pruning saw
Steps for How to Hand-Prune Trees:
1. Trim tree branches with a sharp pruning saw using the three-cut method.
2. First, make an undercut into the bottom of the branch. Start cutting about 12 inches away from the tree trunk, and saw one-third of the way into the branch.
3. Then saw into the top of the branch about 2 inches farther out and beyond the undercut.
4. Continue cutting until the branch breaks free and drops to the ground.
5. Now make the third and final cut to trim away the remaining branch. However, be careful not to saw into the branch collar.
6. Carry away the severed pieces of the branch.
About Ask This Old House TV:
Homeowners have a virtual truckload of questions for us on smaller projects, and we’re ready to answer. Ask This Old House solves the steady stream of home improvement problems faced by our viewers—and we make house calls! Ask This Old House features some familiar faces from This Old House, including Kevin O’Connor, general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, and landscape contractor Roger Cook.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more on This Old House and Ask This Old House, visit us at: http://bit.ly/ThisOldHouseWebsite
How to Hand-Prune Trees | Ask Roger | Ask This Old House